It refers to a machine that is basically used to stitch pieces of clothes. It can also be used for making stitches on other materials like leather, book pages etc. It comes in many forms like manually driven, electric etc.
These machines are made up of a number of mechanical as well as electrical parts. The major parts include: light bulbs, belts, needles, needle plates, bobbins and feet. These are easily found and can be replaced at a sewing machine retailer present in local vicinity. In order to determine the correct part, the retailer will need to know the specific model name or number and the specific part number. A sewing machine comes with a large number of accessories such as a zipper foot and a pressure foot. If someone requires a ruffle or quilting attachment, they are also available with the retailer. However these parts are sometimes specific to a specific brand.
Things to Keep in Mind Before Buying:
- Cost of the machine and the budget one has kept must match.
- Specific uses of the stitching machine: Do you need it for embroidery digitizing or basic stitching or something else. This will determine the type of machine one needs.
- How often one is going to use the machine
- The space available in the house to store the machine, and it is going to determine the size one should select.
These four questions will help to make the search for the machine more specific and directed. One will also be able to explain a sewing machine retailer clearly about the needs and constraints. Thus it will save a lot of time and effort in finding the most suitable machine. It is quite easy to get carried away when one finds out so many amazing features available on machines; some may seem appealing but are unlikely to ever get used. But one thing is for sure that there is a machine out there for everyone.
Basic features to look out for:
- Needle position should be adjustable
- There must be a good built in lighting
- The stitching quality should be superior and appropriate stitching adjustments should be present.
- The bobby pin should be easy to wind.
- Consider a walking foot and free arm machine.
- Stitch length and width control.
In addition one can ask a sewing machine retailer for the following optional features that are not necessary for beginners:
- An extra presser foot.
- A combination of sewing and embroidery machine.
- Speed controlling.
- An up and down needle position option.
Buying a sewing machine can be very exciting since one can have a lot of fun with it. One can unleash their creativity and imagination which could be thought of about all the clothes that can be made. Since so many options are available in the market, it can be tricky to find the best machine for one’s needs. The catch is that one needs to be very clear in their own mind just precisely what one wants.