A construction site is a place of diverse activity. Big and heavy machinery, makeshift arrangements and continuous activity are just some of the features of a typical construction site. In these situations, it is extremely likely that an accident happens. Therefore, all professionals and workers who are present at a construction site must be aware of the safety practices and code of conduct to be followed at construction sites. In order to provide a uniform training to construction sites supervisors and managers, the Site Management Safety Training Scheme- the smsts course is mandatory. Let us look at the features of this course and understand why it is important to attend one.
What are the core objectives of this course?
The basic aim of this course is to make site supervisors and managers aware of the various hazards at construction sites and train them to avert these. The finer details of the course objectives are outlined below.
- To make sure that the participants gain the understanding of their roles and responsibilities regarding safety and health of the workers at the construction site.
- To make the participants aware of the latest rules and regulations in the legal framework regarding features and requirements of a construction site.
- To make participants able to create a safe construction site.
What is the curriculum of a typical smsts course?
The main topics that are covered in these courses are:
- Identification of potential hazards on the construction sites, for example, working with dangerous materials, working at a particular height, etc.
- Code of conduct as per the latest construction regulations in the event of an emergency.
- The list of duties according to the latest health and safety act.
- Ways to monitor the safety features of the construction site and manage them.
Who teaches this course?
This course is taught by a team of professionals who have worked at construction sites and associated places and have been directly involved in construction site safety. The team comprises of managers, senior managers, supervisors, legal representatives and health professionals who are members of the regional occupational health and safety departments.
What is the format of the course?
Since this course is meant for working professionals, it is conducted in two different formats to suit the work timings of the participants. One format of the course spans through 5 consecutive days, and the other spans over one or two days in a week. Depending on the suitability and flexibility, participants may choose either of the two formats.
How are the participants evaluated in this course?
During a typical smsts course, the participants are divided into groups and regular assessments are made in the form of their performance in group discussions, classroom teaching. At the end of the course, there is a written examination in the form of multiple-choice questions.
Upon successful completion of the course, the participants are given certificates that are valid for a period of five years, after which they have to take a refresher course.