Do you wish to visit one of the oldest cities of India? Want to experience the life in a city that has been there for more than 3000 years?
Well then you should definitely start planning a trip to Varanasi! Apart from being one of the oldest cities of the country, it is also considered to be a holy pilgrimage for Hindus. It is believed that a Hindu who is cremated at the ManikarnikaGhat of Varanasi, attains freedom from the cycle of life and death and hence it is the reason why many people still prefer to spend their last days in Varanasi!
If you want to visit this holy city in person, then there are a few things that you need to prepare from beforehand:
- You need to know the best time to visit this city if you want to capture it in its true spirit. Actually, Varanasi moves with its own pace, throughout the year and you can visit it anytime you want. However, if you want to catch the city at its best, then you need to visit it during the month of September or October, since it is the time of all festivities.
- If you do decide to visit the city during this time of the year, then be prepared that you there will a lot of tourists during this time. If you want accommodation in a Varanasi hotel of your choice, then the smart thing to do would be to book well beforehand. Book your hotel room at least 2 months in advance.
- Since this is the peak season, the prices will go up. They become double or triple than during the off seasons. Even with the prices doubled, Varanasi is in general a very pocket friendly city. The best part about this city is that you can roam around and plan your stay according to any budget you want. You can also choose to travel with packaged tours, but is it always best to discover and explore this city on your own. When visiting Varanasi, always plan for a minimum of two nights and three days stay since you will need to visit Sarnath once.
- When you are looking for hotels at Varanasi always look for the ones that are located near the ghats and have rooms that face the river. It is best to book river facing rooms then you will be able to witness the beauty of the Ganga and the life in the ghats, right from your room!
- Exploring Varanasi remains incomplete without exploring its narrow alleys. Carry your walking shoes and cameras with you since you must spend at least one part of the day in the morning, walking through the numerous alleys and by lanes of this city. In fact, it is one of the star attractions here. Also, these lanes are the places where you will get to taste some of the finest sweets of this holy city!
So, if you are gearing up for a trip to this city, make sure that all the necessary preparations are in order!